Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dissent of the Day: Bill's role


I've gotten a few emails today from women who aren't comfortable with Bill Clinton's role, and didn't buy my argument that he's helping the campaign, the most clearly-argued of which came from Lori Quinn in Glendale, CA.

It obviously takes more than one (Obama-supporting) woman to make a trend, but it's a plausible argument, and I wondered if other readers feel the same way, or differently.

I am a mid-forties Democratic leaning (occasionally Republican voting) college-educated working mom. This label would neatly apply to most of my friends. I am admittedly an Obama supporter, but not antagonist to Hillary. I've been surprised by the affinity amongst other similarly situated women out here to Hillary's candidacy. They have been generally excited about prospect of a female president, regardless of my arguments that Hillary does not represent a self-made women in the mold of say Margaret Thatcher. Many of my politically-minded girlfriends watched the nationally televised d, ebate from New Hampshire (apparently we don't go out on Saturday nights any more) and I could have told you that the backlash amongst women and the rallying to Hillary was in full force, even while the media missed it until the votes were in.

However, something funny has happened the last couple of days that was crystallized amongst those watching highlights of last night's debate. Around the office today, a number of women who were definitely in the Hillary camp are starting to feel a little sick to their stomach about the role Bill Clinton's is playing. One remarked that she thought she would be voting for the first women president, not a trojan horse for Bill Clinton's overactive ambition. Another friend I thought last week would definitely vote for Hillary labeled them the "Dynastic Duo" this morning and said she may switch to Obama. And finally, my best friend, who already sent in her absentee ballot says, she's got serious "buyer's remorse" saying she thought she had voted for the first women president, but now she's not so sure she's advanced or hurt women everywhere by voting for Hillary.

I think the media is missing the point like they did in NH. Bill's role as of late is undermining the very strength derived from her seeming historic candidacy. Suddenly it doesn't look so historic, but simply a repeat of history. Again, I'm speaking from the anecdotal perspective from women like myself here in So Cal, but this tactic seems to backfiring amongst my peer group in a significant way. Courtesy Ben Smith @ Politico

No comments: